Incremental Gains and the Power of Habits

Every personal achievement that I am proud of, has come on the foundation of good habits. Fitness, sport, education, music, financial, etc - all accomplished through regular practice.

Habits are the strongest force in the universe for personal development. 

The irony, is that I achieved most things without thinking about how or why I was doing them; some things I did because my parents forced me, some because I enjoyed them, some because of an intuition that I should do it that way. And a time later - voila, a lot of it just worked out.

The remarkable thing about understanding just how powerful habits are, is that it is possible to use this understanding to consciously form new ones that will channel your efforts to further, and targeted self-development. You really can do almost anything.

We have these sayings like "practice makes perfect", "Rome wasn't built in a day", etc. We have an intuitive understanding of their truthfulness. And yet - so many of us give ourselves lofty goals, talk about big ambitions, while actively thinking so little about forming the habits necessary to achieve them. 

Wishing everyone working towards something: just a little bit of improvement, every day. 

Comments

Popular Posts