Trust the Process

"accepting luck as a primary determinant in your life is one of the most freeing ways to view the world. Why? Because when you realize the magnitude of happenstance and serendipity in your life, you can stop judging yourself on your outcomes and start focusing on your efforts. It’s the only thing you can control."


Intuitively (to me, anyway), it feels like the world should be more deterministic than it really is. It can be quite discomforting to accept that I don't have control of outcomes - but not necessarily disorienting. I try to shut out the chaos and randomness, and apply maximum leverage to the points in life I CAN control (relatively): my habits and processes. 

The irony of being process-oriented is that I still structure my processes for the purpose of getting results; I'm motivated to succeed and achieve, not to banally go through some motions. Life, however, regularly reminds me that it does not make guarantees.  

The challenge is finding a compromise between: maintaining the drive to achieve, understanding a lot is out of your control, taking pride in what you have accomplished, and simultaneously not tying your sense of self-worth to outcomes. 

Somehow we must both build our dreams and not worry about them, and either way be happy. A coach's cliche: trust the process!

https://ofdollarsanddata.com/why-winners-keep-winning-4e7f221f5b84

Comments

Popular Posts